A Duo of Crab Dips: Spicy Crab Taco Layer Dip Vs. Roasted Red Pepper & Chive Crab Dip
Crab dip is always a party favorite and perfect for any big game or event that might be coming up. So, in order to help keep you better prepared, it seemed only fair to have a little competition of our own by putting two different interpretations on this classic dip together in a face-to-face showdown!
In one corner, we’ve got an amped up version of the traditional baked dip, but this one features roasted red peppers, chives, and a butter bread crumb topping. In the other corner, we’ve got spicy cold dip featuring all of your favorite taco toppings. Both of these dips are prepared for battle, but it’s up to you to decide the winner!
Roasted Red Pepper & Chive Crab Dip
- 16 oz crab meat
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp thyme (dried or fresh)
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat over to 425 degrees F. Head skillet to medium-high. Melt the butter in the skillet and add the panko breadcrumbs. Stir until golden brown. Add thyme, lemon zest, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Drain crab meat, if needed, and place in a mixing bowl. Add roasted red peppers, parsley, and chives. With a spatula, gently mix in the mayo, cream cheese, lemon juice, hot sauce, and salt and pepper until incorporated.
- Spread into a shallow baking dish and sprinkle with the panko mixture evenly over the top. Bake until the edges start bubbling, about 12 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Spicy Crab Taco Layer Dip
- 16 oz crab meat
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 16 oz sour cream
- 16 oz taco or Mexican hot sauce
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 12 oz shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Fresno peppers (or jalapenos) sliced into rings
- 1 cup cotija or parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Optional garnishes include pickled onions or jalapenos, black olives, cheddar cheese, etc.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, and green onions and stir to thoroughly combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into an appropriately sized serving dish and using a spatula, spread out evenly. Pour the taco or hot sauce over the top of the cream cheese mixture and spread into an even layer across the top. Layer on the lettuce, red onion, crab meat, cilantro, peppers, and cheese in that order. Add any additional garnishes as necessary.
- Serve with your favorite corn tortilla chips.