Fish tacos can come in many varieties, but this Baja Style Seabass taco is a personal favorite! Lightly fried and served with a crisp slaw and spicy Mayo, these are some tacos that are truly hard to beat!
While we highly recommend some form of sea bass for this recipe (White Seabass, Striped Sea Bass, etc), you can also use whatever fish you like or that's in season. Try this with cod, halibut, or even snapper for a really great taco experience!
Baja Style Seabass Tacos
- 2lbs Sea Bass, sliced into potrion sized strips (approx. 4oz)
- 2 Cups Coleslaw Mix
- 1/2 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Cup Mayo
- 2 Tablespoons Hot Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 - 1-1/2 Cups Cold Sparkling Water
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Combine coleslaw mix, red onion, chopped cilantro, olive oil, juice of half a lime, and a generous pinch of salt in a mixing bowl and toss to combine. Refridgerate until needed
- Add mayo, hot sauce, 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning, and juice of half a lime to mixing bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt to taste
- Combine flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning, and a generous pinch of salt in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Slowly add your sparkling water and whisk to combine. Add water until you reach your desired consistancy. Less water will create a thicker batter and more water will create a thinner, lighter batter
- Add vegetable oil to a pot large enough for frying and bring to 350 degrees
- Dredge fish and fry for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy
- Warm tortillas
- Add slaw mix to tortillas, top with fish, and drizzle with spicy mayo. Garnish with additional cilantro and lime wedges.