While chicken tikka masala might be one of the best known Indian dishes of all time, we highly urge you to try it using shrimp instead! This recipe couldn't be easier because for this, we're actually using a pre-made jarred sauce from our good friend, Anupy Singla, founder of Indian as Apple Pie, a line of ready to use Indian sauces and spice blends.
Indian cooking is often percieved as being too complicated for many homecooks, but these spice blends and sauces are a great way to ease yourself into Indian cooking at home. They're also very delicious, so definitely try giving this a go. We think you're going to like it!
Shrimp Tikka Masala
- 1LB Shrimp, peeled and devained
- 1/2 a medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 12oz jar Indian as Apple Pie Tikka Masala sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee
- Lime wedges and chopped cilantro for garnish
- Add vegetable oil or ghee to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sautee until they soften and start turning golden brown, approximately 3-5 minutes
- Add the bell peppers and the garlic and cook until the peppers begin to soften and the garlic becomes arromatic, approximately 2 minutes
- Add the shrimp and cook for approximately 1 minute or until the shrimp just starts to turn color
- Add the Indian as Apple Pie Tikka Masala sauce. Fill the empty jar half way with water and add that to the skillet as well. Simmer until the sauce reduces and thickens and the shrimp are fully cooked through, approximately 5-8 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve along with Jasmine rice and garnish with cilnatro and lime wedges.