We'd wager money that, up until now, you'd never check out a recipe for a Tuna Sandwich, but let us tell you friends, once you try this one, you'll never go back to reaching for those dusty cans of tuna fish sitting in your pantry ever again... or at least not for a while.
While we don't totally want to dunk on canned tuna, because there really are some amazing brands out there, making a Tuna Sandwich using fresh, quality Ahi Tuna is a total game changer. While largely unheard of, for all you Poke fans out there, while this isn't that, this fresh creamy tuna salad isn't that far off and gives you a whole new way to up your lunch game.
Makes 2-4 Sandwiches
- 1lb Sashimi Grade Ahi Tuna (cut into 1/4" cubes"
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Red Onion (or shallots)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Celery
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonaise (preferrably Kewpie)
- 1 Tablespoon Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Herbs (scallion, chive, dill, tarragon, etc.)
- Bread of Choice (a high quality white bread or sour dough is optimal)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Combine all ingredients (except for the bread) into a mixing bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Portion out tuna salad onto pre-sliced bread and top with an additional slice of bread (typical sandwich stuff)
- Cut in half diagonally into triangles and eat. Serve with a nice green salad maybe?